by Amy Menchhofer
For a typical night out most Madrileños leave home with at least three things in hand – keys, cell phone, and Metro pass. No wallet, you ask? The monthly Metro pass, conveniently made up of a flexible card slipped into a plastic sleeve, serves as a perfect catch-all for your marcha necessities.
Here are the top 5 items to slip into your metro pass:
1. Extra 10€ note (like that $500 bill you slip under the Monopoly board “just in case.”)
2. Band-aids (Because those oh-so-cute-got-to-have-them shoes aren’t always as comfortable in the real world as they were in the store.)
3. Kleenex (Out at the bars it’s not uncommon to find the women’s toilet missing its seat and it’s virtually unheard of to find one well-stocked with toilet paper. You can’t do much about the first but you can about the second. Follow the Boy Scouts’ advice – Be Prepared.)
4. Matchbook (Gotta light? “¿Tienes fuego?” is about the most common pick-up line in Madrid. When that cutie asks do you really want to have to say no?)
5. Stick of gum (Beer. Cigarettes. Fried tapas. All the staples of the Madrid night-life combine to leave you craving something minty-fresh – and not another mojito. And once that handsome stranger comes looking for a match maybe you’ll have to split the stick between two…)
What would you add to the list?